A healthy and delicious meal to help you continue those New Year resolutions! These blackened salmon cakes pair great with fresh greens or add a few more ingredients for a nicoise salad.
Blackened Salmon Cakes with Greens
Delightful mini salmon cakes sit atop a bed of greens drizzled with a sweet onion citrus dressing for this light and tasty meal.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup diced Vidalia onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic
6 ounces minced sockeye salmon meat
- 1/2 cup diced Vidalia onion or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spice mix
- 1 tablespoon butter, for frying
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Lettuce of choice
- Pumpkin seeds
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh dill
Vidalia Onion Citrus Dressing
- Stir spice mix ingredients together in a bowl. Store in an airtight container.
- Add onion citrus dressing ingredients to an immersion blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Store in fridge.
- Add salmon cakes ingredients (except the butter and olive oil)to a medium bowl and mix until combined. Use a 1/4 cup dry measuring scoop and portion 7 cakes, lightly pressing together with damp hands. Place on a plate and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to encourage cakes to keep their shape. To prepare for later, continue to refrigerate until 20 minutes before meal, then cook.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt butter and add olive oil. Once pan sizzles, add a few cakes (do not crowd) and cook each side for 5 minutes until golden brown. Repeat on opposite side and continue until all cakes are cooked.
- Toss greens with a drizzle of dressing. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, herbs, and add salmon cakes. Serve immediately.