Popsie's Alaskan Salmon Mince Meatballs
1 package Popsie Sockeye Salmon Mince (approximately 2 lbs), thawed
1 large yellow onion, finely minced*
2 cloves garlic, minced*
2 teaspoons fennel seed, lightly crushed
2 whole eggs
1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
1 ½ cups parmesan, grated
zest of one lemon (optional)
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh dill,chopped
2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes( optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Using a fork or rubber spatula, mix gently until well incorporated.
- Let mixture rest for 10 minutes to allow breadcrumbs to absorb moisture.
- Line a 9 by 13-inch sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using your hands, form salmon meatball mixture into golf ball sized portions by gently rolling mixture between palms.
- Space salmon meatballs 1 inch apart on lined sheet pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through (8-10 minutes).
- Salmon meatballs should be cooked throughout but still moist.
We also enjoy simply sautéing these on the stovetop and basting them with a bit of butter and fresh herbs and then finishing them in a warm oven until cooked through. Be careful to watch the meatballs closely if you choose the broiler preparation; be sure to use a set of long tongs to turn them halfway through the cooking process to achieve even browning and doneness. *If raw onion and garlic are too strong for your taste, gently sauté in butter and cool thoroughly before adding to the meatball mixture