Position Title: Set Net Crew - Summer Season
City: Bristol Bay, Egegik District
Application/Enquiry Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Seasonal, Summer only
Wage: Percentage crew share based on # of fish caught. Crew have earned $5000 to $11,000 in previous years. Bristol Bay forecasts the largest run of sockeye salmon in 30 years.
Job Start Date: 01Jun22
Job End Date: 01Aug22
Set Net Crew job takes place onshore at our family’s set net site in a remote location in Egegik District of Bristol Bay. The primary work is picking salmon from gill nets by hand and loading them into ice totes on ATV trailers, deploying nets using inflatable rafts and picking them up. Daily schedule is determined by the deck boss, the tides and the fish. The is no pre-set time off, though there will be slack time in between tides. Crew must be willing to work as needed during their length of employment. Set-net crew tasks also include pre- and post- season set up and take down, as well as daily camp chores.
- Must be at least 18 and out of high school.
- Alaska commercial crew license.
- Work rain gear and boots.
- Positive attitude and willingness to get along with crew.
- Able to work in the ocean and not be afraid of water and waves.
- Able to do strenuous physical activity for a prolonged period of time.
- Previous fishing experience not required, but are looking for people with skills like mechanics, cooking, or construction work.
- The job is not gender specific; all crew do the same work and are treated equally.
- Ability to drive an ATV preferred, or be wiling to learn.
Medical insurance is advised. Workman’s comp is not allowed for any commercial fishing crew in Alaska. The state maintains a fund for fishing related injuries. We are not liable if you get hurt on the job.
- Room and board provided during employment period
- Great food cooked daily and served in family style meals
- Clean, warm, rustic shelter provided for sleeping
- Flights from Anchorage to out to and back from site in Egegik, Alaska provided
- All onsite costs covered
- Memorable, rewarding work experience in beautiful Bristol Bay, Alaska
Currently seeking people for four crew positions. We will fill in additional information for you if we are discussing a job. Please do not apply if you are looking for full employment, this is summer work only.
How to Apply:
Please review our website at www.popsiefishco.com. If you can picture yourself spending a summer fishing with us, send an email (email@example.com) with a resume and a cover letter describing why you’d like the job.