You can't go wrong with sharing our wild-caught Alaskan seafood with friends and family - and that's exactly what fishers Jake & Brittany did last month! Inviting some friends over for dinner, they decided to try a new recipe: Blackened Pan Friends Alaskan Cakes.
- 1-6oz portion of The Popsie Fish Company Sockeye Salmon
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 tablespoon spice mix (see below)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Spice Mix
- 3/4 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2.25 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.25 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Vidalia Onion Citrus Dressing
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- Lettuce of choice
- Pumpkin seeds
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh dill
- Make the spice blend: Stir spice-mix ingredients together in a bowel. Store in an airtight container.
- Make the dressing: Add onion citrus dressing ingredients to a blender. Puree until smooth. Store in fridge.
Make the salmon cakes: Add ingredients to a medium bowl and mix until combined. Use a 1/4 cup dry measuring scoop and portion 7 cakes, lightly pressing together with damp hands. Place on a plate and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to encourage cakes to keep their shape. To prepare for later, continue to refrigerate until 20 minutes before meal - then cook.
Cook the patties: In a cast iron skillet, melt butter and add olive oil. Once pan sizzles, add a few cakes (be careful not to crowd) and cook each side for 5 minutes until golden brown. Repeat on opposite side and continue until all cakes are cooked.
- Assemble and serve: Toss greens with a drizzle of dressing. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, herbs, and add salmon cakes. Serve immediately - enjoy with friends!